Nagorno-Karabakh says one of its soldiers has been killed in a clash with Azerbaijani forces.
The separatist region’s military said the soldier was shot and killed in fighting Monday. David Babaian, a spokesman for the Nagorno-Karabakh separatist government, said Tuesday that the clash occurred when Azerbaijani forces launched an attack on the Armenian positions.
Azerbaijan’s Defense Ministry said its forces rebuffed an Armenian attack Monday.
Azerbaijan’s Nagorno-Karabakh region and some adjacent territory have been under the control of Armenian soldiers and local Armenian forces since a 1994-cease-fire that ended a six-year war.
Attempts to negotiate a peaceful settlement have stalled, and the sides engage in frequent shootings and attempted incursions along the cease-fire line. Tensions have soared since Azerbaijani forces downed an Armenian military helicopter last month.
Article posted from ABC NEWS – AP